Saturday, February 05, 2011

Hi, I'm 85.

After squirming while my opthamologist blinded me with a bright light shined deeply into my dilated left eye for many, many moments, I heard him mutter to himself, "Well, I'll be a son of a gun!" This comment followed a two and a half hour appointment during which he pledged to figure out what was wrong with my left eye which has vexed me since May.

Well, after his backwoods Georgia-esque utterance, he started to use some really big fancy eye doctor school words to describe the large, rapidly growing CATARACTS IN MY EYE. Now, this isn't technically news, being that I've been told several times that I have cataracts and they are possibly my only ticket to vision correction being that no doctor in their right mind will perform Lasik on someone with a -10 prescription.

But when we add the cataracts to my arthritis, my tendency to develop pneumonia, my kidney stones, my bladder which has been described as "70 year old", my hip's occasional slip, my trick neck, and my geriatric acne, MY LORD, HOW OLD AM I? Not to mention that my hair has finally passed the "occasional gray hair" stage and entered the "okay, you're too old to wear your hair this long unless you dye it" stage.

And then he told me that my left eyelid doesn't close all the way when I blink, and he wants me to see a neuro-opthamologist. Sigh. I'm a never-ending source of abnormal medical conditions. What will it be now?

7 comments:

Beth said...

God bless you! At my last appt. for eyes I was a -9.5 in my left and a -10 in my right. For glasses it was different - stronger, a -13 maybe?  So glad to hear someone has eyes as bad as mine. (Hate to hear about the cataracts though. What were your symptoms?)

Pigs' Mom said...

So, when do you get to have the cataracts removed and then have close to normal vision?

Katie Barron said...

Well I'll be a son of a gun!  Who knew?  I'm so sorry, although having an actual diagnosis must be somewhat relieving.  Right?

Ashlea said...

You sound like my husband! He is getting so gray soon there'll be more gray than brown in his hair and he has very old people things happen to him (he's had pneuomnia, uses a CPAP mask, etc)!

Aims said...

Okay, you must, MUST tell me more about this occasional hip slip. Mine started doing the same thing about a month ago. We really have to stop this whole, "what happens to you happens to me" thing. That is, unless you win the lottery. 

Pigs said...

Cataract symptoms are blurriness in vision, but that could also be caused by dryness from one of my many other problems. WHO KNOWS?

Pigs said...

Well, didn't you have the retinal issue recently? The hip thing I've had for a long time. It will just occasionally, you know, slip. And I'll fall down. Once in a parking lot at college. Smooth.