Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Books 2008, not an impressive year of the book.

I usually aim for about 50 books a year, so this year was a little disappointing. In my defense, I did have a baby and move across the country, but still. It's kind of lame. And the quality of books is also lacking this year.

I think the books I would most recommend off of this year's list were all from my book club in Texas. A Piece of Cake was one of the most unforgettable, fascinating books that I read. It was one of those books that I was inexplicably riveted by and just couldn't put it down. It was also one of my favorite book club meetings to discuss.

For fun, I loved the Mary Kay Andrews books and wish there were more of them to read. For education, I liked the Overachievers. It's amazing how much the high school/college application scene has already changed so much since I went through. Middlesex was another book club book that I was kind of morbidly fascinated by, and Michael Crichton's Next was really good too. So, that's my kind of lame 2008 rundown. Hopefully next year will be more productive.

Please leave me a book recommendation in the comments for 2009. I'm going to finish the Twilight series, but that's about all I have on deck at the moment.

33. Unforgettable, by Cecily von Ziegesar

32. Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer

31. Legally Blonde, by Amanda Brown

30. Bless Your Heart, Tramp, by Celia Rivenbark

29. Secret Society Girl, by Diana Peterfruend

28. Reckless, by Cecily von Ziegesar

27. Don't You Forget About Me, by Cecily von Ziegesar

26. Would I Lie to You? by Cecily von Ziegesar

25. Certain Girls, by Jennifer Weiner

24. Vanishing Acts, by Jodi Picoult

23. Names My Sisters Call Me, by Megan Crane

22. A Piece of Cake, by Cupcake Brown

21. Deep Dish, by Mary Kay Andrews

20. Plain Truth, by Jodi Picoult

19. Notorious, by Cecily von Ziegesar

18. Blue Christmas, by Mary Kay Andrews

17. Remember Me?, by Sophie Kinsella

16. Miss Julia Takes Over, by Ann B. Ross

15. Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen

14. Hissy Fit, by Mary Kay Andrews

13. The It Girl, by Cecily von Ziegesar

12. Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides

11. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, by Ann B. Ross

10. The Overachievers: The Secret Lives of Driven Kids, by Alexandra Robbins

9. Happiest Toddler on the Block, by Harvey Karp

8. Girl in Hyacinth Blue, by Susan Vreeland

7. Only in Your Dreams, by Cecily von Ziegesar

6. Marley and Me, by John Grogan

5. The A-List, by Zoey Dean

4. Next, by Michael Crichton

3. Savannah Breeze, by Mary Kay Andrews

2. Red River, by Lalita Tademy

1. Little Bitty Lies, by Mary Kay Andrews

No comments: