Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Anal Sacs. Not to be confused.

Well, I couldn't write something nice about Gus and then have him not do something high-maintenance, could I? Right after I published that, he started acting very strange regarding matters in his...um, backyard. Rear exit. Um, area. Place.

I took him into the vet for his usual anal gland expression (MMMMM! Let's go eat lunch!) only to be called back into the office. The vet showed me where his anal gland had become full (normal), become impacted (not good), and BURST THROUGH HIS SKIN. Did you read that? His anal sac burst through his skin and fur. And oozed out.

So, now he's on antibiotics and a steroid and I -the horrible dog mommy - get to spend 5 minutes 2-4 times a day holding a warm compress on my dog's anus. Mr. Pigs has given this task entirely to me without even a hint of wanting to help. Poor Gussie.

The worst part of the vet's lecture to me was having to listen to her say the words "anal sacs" over and over again. Do you know what the words "anal sacs" sounds like when my vet says it? Just mull it over a few times and you'll come up with it. I managed to keep a straight face through the whole visit, but laughed out loud when she gave me the pack of literature entitled "Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Anal Sacs".

Do you have any idea what kind of sketchy hits my blog is going to get from this topic? I can only imagine.

So, that's what I'll be doing if anyone needs me. Holding a warm cloth just beneath my dog's tail to allow his rupture to seep anal gland fluid into my hand. And then I'll go cook dinner and tend my children.

4 comments:

Aims said...

Ewwwww! Poor Gus. Poor Pigs. Ewwww!

KauaiMark@gmail.com said...

"...have any idea what kind of sketchy hits my blog is going to get from this topic"

Pretty much the same ones I get about Thanksgiving dinner mentioning the "tutkey boobs"

Janessa said...

Halarious!  Thank you for making me laugh!

Katie Barron said...

Oh my God.  Ew, ew, ew.  Yet another reason why there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm getting a dog any time soon.