Wednesday, June 17, 2009


Oh, Lordy. Wondering where I've been? Me too. Let's see....I was sick. Oh, and then I was sick again. Oh! And now I'm sick again. Seriously. First Pigpen gave me that weird muscle illness with fever. Then I promptly got Piglet's cold. And now I have my dad's cold which has turned into a sinus infection and pneumonia. Ow, ow, ow. That's twice this year I've gotten pneumonia. Enough about me.

Just kidding! More about me. We went to NC over the weekend. This involves driving 6 hours in the car with my two lovely children. Loooooooooooong hours. I gave my friend Beth a baby shower on Saturday and we did a family birthday party for Pigpen on Sunday.

Pigpen is one today! Can you believe it? One year ago, I was lying in a hospital bed gleeful that I had a spinal block still swirling around in me deadening the pain of my kidney stones. It was fantastic. Today, he's a happy, sparky little boy. Well, he would be happy and sparky if Piglet hadn't given him a nasty cold and pink eye. Instead, he's droopy and sad and has gooey eyes. It was a pretty sad birthday.

But, he's coming along nicely. His first (and only) word is "all done" which sounds a little like "Ah dah!" He says it very enthusiastically upon finishing a meal or nursing. His only other word is more, which he will sign. He says da da, but I don't think it has any meaning yet. He's crawling superduper fast, pulls up, and stands, but hasn't commenced cruising thus far.

In other news, and further explanation of my absence, while I went to the pool last Tuesday Gus got into my diaper bag and ate a sleeve of formula, a box of crayons, my Chapstick, and a small box of raisins. If you don't know, raisins and grapes are poisonous to dogs and landed Gus in the doggie hospital. He had to throw up everything he ate and eat charcoal. We went to NC as I mentioned and Gussie became lethargic and forlorn. He had hurt himself treeing a cat, so we blamed it on that, but when we got home and took the vet his urine sample, they said his kidneys weren't functioning and his pee was almost all water. So poor Gussie spent 48 hours on a fluid IV pushing fluids through his kidneys, trying to reverse the damage that was done by the toxins. He was released today - and so deliriously happy! - and is at home recuperating. We still don't know the extent of the damage, but we are hopeful that he will be okay.

So. You can see where I've been. I've still got two more tales to share, but I'm just too sick and tired to write more tonight. Here's to hoping I don't get pink eye from my crew.

No comments: