Tuesday, November 01, 2005

But and Of. Two Small Words Make a Day Special.

Since I didn't hear overwhelming excitement from my comment box over the prospect of viewing my tacky pen collection, I will instead share a Deep Thought which came from my classroom today.

Picture it: a student gazing at the board, pondering deeply life's many scenarios. I walk by. The student jumps in her chair, alert.

Student: Mrs?
Me: Yes?
Student: I just figured out my favorite word to write in cursive!
Me: Oh, really? Do tell.
Student: Of! Because "o" and "f" are my favorite letters.
Me: Ahhhh...I see where you're coming from. Good call.

Later, while working on a lesson on combining sentences: I presented the two sentences to the class. I love my sister's new game. She won't let me play it. We reviewed conjunctions quickly and began debating the best one to use.

Me: What do y'all think?
Students: [waving hands and writhing in chairs.]

Since it was such a slam dunk, it seemed a good chance to let everyone answer.

Me: Everybody? [I motioned them on in a chorus.]
Everybody: BUT! [big smiles turn into a collective gasp.]

I look up. My principal had just walked in the doorway.

Me: Heh, heh...uh...heh, heh. A little lesson on conjunctions to start us out. Heh...

******************

Guess what? Only three more days until my one year blogversary. How 'bout them apples? Start thinking about what gift you are going to give me...

No comments: