Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dear Dish Network,

Today I received deplorable customer service from your company. It is hard for me to understand how a satellite television service, an industry which relies upon customers, could treat its customers with such disrespect and disdain. In my efforts to give you more of my business and thereby more of my money, I was treated rudely and arrogantly in thanks.

One week ago, I called to have an additional television hooked up to my satellite. I was given an appointment today, August 1 between the hours of 12:00 and 5:00. I'm certain that you realize what an inconvenience these vast time ranges are for everyone, but I understand that is how the installation process works. Having made arrangements to be at home from 12 until 5, I sat in my house and waited. And waited. And waited. I realize that the technician could arrive at 5pm and this would be within the agreed upon range. At 4:50pm, the technician called my house to inform me that he wouldn't be able to make it today. He had put me last on his list, he told me, because I live near his home. He was sorry, but it had begun to rain. It had, indeed, rained earlier that afternoon, but was not in fact raining at my house at that time. He told me to call Dish to reschedule and was very apologetic and polite.

I'm sure that you will understand that I do not have the time in my life to spend another day waiting for five hours for my television to be hooked up. I called Dish Network as instructed and was immediately connected to an individual who clearly understood very little English. After explaining my problem to the customer service representative, he informed me that I had an appointment on August 1st between the hours of 12 and 5. As I had already stated this information to him, I agreed, but repeated my question: What was Dish Network going to do to fix this problem and compensate me for my time? He replied that the technician would be to my house shortly, he was sure. I repeated to him that the technician himself had called me personally to tell me he was not coming. The customer service representative then offered me an appointment on August 7th. After several rounds of explaining and questioning, he put me on hold and came back with my offer: He would credit my account $5 for my trouble. Five dollars. For five hours of wasted time and an appointment a week later than was promised. I asked to speak to someone in scheduling and he connected me to a non-working number and I was disconnected.

I called back and proceeded to have nearly the exact same conversation with another person, this time a woman, who also didn't understand the language. She informed me that I had an appointment on August 1st between the hours of 12 and 5. As I had already stated this information to her as well, I again agreed, but repeated my question: What was Dish Network going to do to fix this problem and compensate me for my time? She replied that the technician would be to my house shortly, she was sure. At this point, I asked to speak to a manager. The woman spent five minutes or so trying to convince me that this wasn't necessary before finally transferring me to a manager, who also struggled with English.

The manager was rude, abrasive and angry. She yelled to me that she could see in the technician's report that he didn't make it to my house because he was detained at the house before mine. This statement was a blatant lie, as the technician himself had told me otherwise, and with a sincere, polite apology. The manager refused to help me get an appointment this week, compensate me in anyway, or otherwise help me.

I feel that as a result of this poor customer service, the least Dish Network could do is to send someone to my home tomorrow morning, as I was last on today's schedule and did not receive my promised service. It seems that a company reliant upon customers would be eager to please those customers who send them money each month. I should not be forced to wait another week, only to waste another 5 hours waiting in my home for a service which may or may not occur. It also strikes me odd that customer service representative would only offer a $5 credit for such a blatant disservice to a customer.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Thank you,

Pigs

No comments: