Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Crazed Love Songs

Upon becoming a mom, I've realized that I don't know the words to any of the lullabyes. Here's what I sing to Piglet at naptime: (I start out okay.)

Hush little baby, don't say a word.
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.
If that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring turns to brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.
If that looking glass don't shine,
Mama's gonna buy her a bottle of wine.
If that bottle of wine's gone bad,
Mama'll get a toad on a lilypad.
If that little toad won't play,
Mama's gonna buy her a long spa day.
If that spa day's not enough,
Mama's just gonna have to get tough....

Et cetera. How does the song become entirely about me and my state of mind? He seems to still enjoy it. It does not have the desired effect of putting him to sleep, but that is more likely related to my singing skills than my lyrics. I've got to get a baby book of songs, stat.

No comments: