Monday, July 04, 2005

Name That Beagle!

Wowza...that's a lot of picture requests! How about if I pick my favorites? I'll do my best on them, I promise! I have been stressing over the dirtiest square foot of my house for about a week now because that one was left before I went on vacation into the land of no internet access. I'm afraid that this little picture essay is going to reveal me to be some kind of neat freak, but alas. I asked for it.

So, I'm back! I'm contentedly typing away on this early 4th of July summer morn. My beagle is frolicking in the backyard, scaring away all of the bold creatures who dared to invade his land while we were away. I'm washing my 4th load of clothes and sipping some leftover Jamaican coffee. Not too shabby, eh?

I had a really nice vacation. I feel like I've been gone forever, but it was only two weeks. This is going to be a fairly boring post because our vacation was so calm and tame that for once nothing weird or bizarre happened to me! Well, one thing, but I have to save that one for tomorrow. We basically spent a week on the beach lounging in the sun, eating peanuts, and drinking beer. Your classic high-stress vacation. We played a little bocce ball, a lot of ping pong, and some beach paddle ball, had one day of rain, and ate a ton of food. Good times!

I have one big piece of news, though. While at the beach, I got a little character in my head and started to write a book. For real this time too. I really like her, the character. It's definitely a kids' chapter book, though. I've wrestled with the adult book idea for a few years now and just can't narrow it down to something manageable. The best I've come up with is a collection of short stories, many of which you've read on here, and I just don't like to read collections of short stories, so I don't know why someone else would.

I bought a 10 cent Wal-Mart spiral notebook and went to town this week. It's been a long time since I've written for real. Like with a pen. It's hard! Now I have to type it all in so I can do it right. We'll see how it goes...I hope the inspiration isn't going to dry up now that I'm home. I've got all of my characters figured out and I'm weaving it all together right now. I have definitely decided that the character has to have a beagle. I've got to have some use for all of the stories that Gus gives me.

Here is your job: name that beagle! It's going to be a mischievous boy beagle, like one little darling that I know. That's all I know about him so far, but the little guy needs a name. And you know what? If I ever get rich and famous and get my book published, you will get an acknowledgment in the front for naming that dog. What more could you want in life?

So name away! I'm waiting with bated (baited? did you know they're both right? i'm confused) breath.

No comments: