Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth.

Just spent a couple hours writing my self report for my summative appraisal for this school year. I hate these things. They're such a strange combination of bragging-but-not-being-cocky. It's a fine line to walk.
Some samples including off-color translations:

1. Describe the approaches you have used to monitor classroom performance and to provide feedback to students regarding their progress in academic skills (TEKS/TAKS objectives).

Aside from district assessments, I enter data from any assessment that I administer to students onto a diagnostic grid created for each assignment or test. This grid is mapped to cluster specific TEKS together which lets me quickly see patterns in individual students, as well as weak areas as a class. I use the classroom trends to guide my mini-lessons and the individual patterns to set up small group instruction. My after school tutoring groups are generally created for students who consistently fall below expectations in multiple areas.

Translation: I grade papers and then decide what to teach. Duh.

2. Describe how you assisted your students who were experiencing serious attendance problems.

I was fortunate to only have one student this year that experienced some health problems which led to many absences from school. Unfortunately, he is a student who has academic needs and was already in my tutoring program. In order to prevent the student from falling behind further, I was regularly in touch with his parents. We had more conferences than would typically be necessary for a student, but the communication was essential for this student’s continued success. I was also able to use my conferencing day during recess to pull him when necessary for reteaching or coaching through catch up work. The extra tutoring during recess allowed him to regain some confidence that he lost when he felt behind in his work. Particularly in composing compositions, our weekly banter let us strike a bond that gave the two of us a connection which enabled him to feel comfortable when it was necessary for him to seek extra help.

Translation: He was out a whole mess of days. My administration still expected him to pass the Test or else I was gonna look bad. I tutored him every free moment I had and nagged his parents to get him in school.

3. Describe your approach in working with students who were failing or in danger of failing.

My approach to working with students who were working below a fourth grade expectation was to develop a personal relationship with the student to create a team. We worked together to overcome difficulties and practice difficult concepts. Student buy-in and motivation is much stronger when they know that I am invested in them and care about them. Through tutoring and reteaching, my needier students were able to make progress and feel successful even with challenging material.

Translation: Heh. Retch. Don't I sounds like a cheeseball? It's all true, but still. Sounds so lame on paper. Had one administrator been in my room more than twice she would know this.... That's all I have to say about that.

Have to go proofread now so I can turn this bad boy in tomorrow. Fun stuff.

No comments: