Friday, April 22, 2005

I don't get it.

Can someone please tell me what is happening in our society that it is becoming okay to yell at teachers? To treat them differently that you would treat any other professional in any other field?
What gives parents the right to (publicly) yell at a teacher and threaten a lawsuit while standing in the foyer of an elementary school swarming with children, teachers, and (worse) other parents? Especially when the parent is yelling about something about which they are completely misinformed and turn out to be in the wrong...and they don't apologize.
This didn't happen to me, but it happened to a friend yesterday and she came running down the hall sobbing in humiliation. It just infuriates me that this abuse is tolerated. In no other field of work can I imagine that this behavior is acceptable.
And by the way...the teacher's alleged offense? The lady's child didn't get to see a movie which another teacher promised him. My friend was not involved in any way, yet received the parent's anger and mistreatment without any form of apology. Yeah, that makes sense.

No comments: