Saturday, December 04, 2004

I Take It All Back

My previous post listed the jobs I would not want to have, but it turns out I was wrong, these are far worse:

From News of the Weird 877, by Chuck Shepherd, November 28, 2004:

* "Anal-wart researcher" (visual inspection being the only way to
detect anal cancer from the human papillomavirus) heads Popular
Science magazine's second annual November list of the worst jobs
in science. However, "worm parasitologist" can be just as
challenging, especially for anyone studying the Dracunculus
medinensis (which can settle in humans to a length of three feet
and then must be removed carefully after its thousands of offspring
burst through the skin). Other contenders: "tampon squeezer" for
the study of vaginal infections; a Lyme-disease "tick attractor"
(who must sing, to keep bears away, while trolling in the woods);
and "monitors" at warm-climate landfills (where garbage has been
reduced to steamy, liquid condensates).



2 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh my lord. I have never loved my own job as much as I do at this very moment...

Pigs said...

I know! It actually put mine into perspective. I won't complain for at least 24 hours. (10 more days of school until break!)