Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sparkly Tigers!

I'd just like to say that being on crutches in an elementary school is nearly as hazardous as the accident which caused the crutches in the first place. Children are completely oblivious to the pain or problems of anyone other than themselves. While interested, children are not very sympathetic or concerned about my well-being.
It was funny to watch the reactions of children as compared to that of adults when I explained my little snafu with the sink.

Adult: What on earth happened to you?
Me: Well, I turned on the water in the bathroom of a restaurant and the sink fell off the wall and shattered on my foot.
Adult: What?! That's crazy? Are you okay? What actually happened to your foot?

-----------------------------------------------------

Child #1: Ooooh! Crutches! I had crutches! I fell off my bike!
Child #2: [gasp] You have crutches! Why?
Me: Well, I turned on the water in the bathroom of a restaurant and the sink fell off the wall and shattered on my foot.
Child #1: Oh.
Child #2: Oh. [pause] My brother? This one time? He had stitches?
Child #3: Hey! Mrs. is wearing a sock! It has tigers!
Child #1: Oooh! They sparkle! Sparkly tigers!
Child #2: Those are cats, not tigers.
Child #1: Mrs! Aren't those tigers?!
Me: Yes, they are tigers. Could we get started on some work now please?
Child #1: Hey, where were you yesterday? How come you didn't get the good sub? [turns to friend] Did you see Mrs.' sock? It has tigers!

Extreme concern, I tell you. Two have bashed into my tender little foot and not even apologized, even after my ever-so-sensitive reply, "Hello?! Stitches here?" When I have kids, I'm going to teach them some manners. And that they should always do their homework and turn it into the proper basket. Still having a problem there. Happy almost Friday!

-GimpyPig

No comments: